Friday, October 23, 2015

A birthday in Britain - Wednesday, October 7

Wednesday, October 7th was my 44th birthday.  As my birthday celebrations from years 40 to 43 ranged from truly epic to merely outstanding, and this year my birthday fell in the middle of the work week, I was content to let 44 pass by with a whimper.

I had noticed over the past 10 months, though, that people tended to bring treats in to the office on their birthday.  My non-scientific poll of English friends via Facebook confirmed the general cultural norm that on one's birthday, it is the birthday celebrant who treats everyone else to cake, a round at the pub, etc.  "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", or as my old friend Efrain opined, "Al Pueblo que fueres has lo que vieres", so I stopped at Booth's on Tuesday night to pick up a few cakes to bring in to work the next day.  Once they found out it was my birthday, my co-workers surprised me with their ability to whip together some kind birthday cards on short notice, and we all enjoyed a nice afternoon break filled with sugar.  As an added bonus, there were two slices of the chocolate cake left over, and those went home with me to enjoy for the next couple of nights.  :-)

Since this year was mellow and next year, my birthday falls on a Friday, I suppose I'll have to make up for a 'year off' by planning another epic adventure for 45.  And since I don't have any photos to share from 44, instead I'll recap 40-43.

Here's my 40th birthday, celebrated first at the Oktoberfest in Munich and then in Amsterdam.  My actual birthday night proper was spent dancing at Coco's Outback club.  My friend Gerry got me the awesome glasses and boa.


PA070402

For 41, I had a weekend in Pittsburgh.  My dear friends Dave and Kristin tried to organize a surprise party bus on Saturday, but due to a mechanical failure, the bus was out of commission.  Instead the owner of Bar 11 opened up his bar for us in the afternoon for a private surprise party, with most of my Pittsburgh friends, which then segued into a bar crawl on the Southside.  Sunday my friends Jack and Tom helped organize a big tailgate party on the North Shore, and then some of us went in to the Pittsburgh Steelers versus Philadelphia Eagles football game.  The Steelers won.

Pittsburgh Birthday Weekend

For 42, Kristin and I went to Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando for a day of eating and drinking around the world at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival.  We were joined by my brother, Jon, his wife Karen, and another friend, Brian.


  
Finally, 43 was the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, Colorado, with my friends Kristin, Trish and Mo.  As if the GABF wasn't enough, since October 7th actually fell on a Tuesday, I had dinner with friends back in Atlanta at a nice restaurant followed by a free Macallan Scotch tasting.

IMAG0142

No comments:

Post a Comment